Monday, June 11, 2007

My life as an addict...

Ok, I admit it. Publicly, here, on this blog, I officially admit that I am an addict. I never thought it would come to this, never thought that it could grab me so quickly and not let go. It all started with a simple curiosity. So many people talking about it, saying how great it was, and how much they couldn't live without it. At first, I discounted it, thought they were crazy. Then, it happened to me...I still remember how it all started.

I was in Target with my family. As usual, Caleb ran directly for the books section and, as usual, we all followed him there. Not wanting to dissuade Caleb from such a noble pursuit, I decided to let him peruse the amazing world of Wiggles and Blues Clues books and waited a few minutes. As I was waiting, I saw it. There it was, plain as day. It was almost like it was waiting for me, like it was destiny...plus, it was on clearance. I knew, right then and I there, I couldn't resist anymore. So I took it, and my world hasn't been the same since.

I am officially addicted to 24. Yeah, that's right, the TV show 24. It just finished its sixth season and I had never watched one episode before I purchased the complete first season on clearance at Target for $14. That was about a month ago, and since that time, I have gotten my online Blockbuster account setup and have stayed up late way too many nights wondering how Jack Bauer will save the day yet again.

Unfortunately, it is taking its toll on me. Now, one month later, I am almost done with Season six. I have been on a non-stop 24 binge for the whole month. It has gotten to the point where I am now having a hard time telling the difference between Jack's world and my own. I am living in two parallel universes and I go from one to the other without even realizing it...I am losing my mind! Even the sub par acting doesn't bother me anymore...I don't know what it is about that show, but it is like visual heroin! My sleeping patterns are all messed up because once I start a four episode DVD, I can't stop until I have watched all four 45 minute episodes...unfortunately, I don't start watching them until 10pm!

So, let this serve as a lesson to all you kids out there...beware of highly addictive TV dramas, even if they are on clearance at Target.

Ok, I gotta go now...I have 5 episodes left of Season six to watch before I go to bed. You may be wondering how I have Season six since it isn't on DVD yet...well, don't tell Katie, but I paid $40 to iTunes and downloaded the entire season (13 gigabytes!) last night because I couldn't stand the thought of waiting for months to get my fix. I am a sad case, but after these last episodes, there are no more until this fall...I am not looking forward to the withdrawals.

-Cim

3 comments:

Katie said...

What do you mean, don't tell Katie? I get this e-mail too!

Cim Carver said...

Yeah...it was my way of telling you. I thought it would be best if you found out about it while I was gone so you could be mad and then get unmad when you started missing me so much. :)

Funnoo said...

I'm David, I don't think you remember me but I was in the Santa Cruz Branch. You were serving there.
I have been trying to find you for 10 years but I never was able to find some Elders. I was 18 years (maybe 19) in that time
and look at me now, I'm 31. I still have your nametag and it's funny to see that I still have these things inside of a box.
I remember I tried to be your friend but you were very serious. Anyway, I never gave up and I'm proud of it. You weren't like
the others and that's cool. Sorry for my English dude, I know it's not perfect.
I would like to keep in touch with you and with other missionaries I had a friendship or 'strange friendship' with them. I found your blog
and this help me to find you. I don't know if you remember me or if you will write back, but I'm happy to see you are married and life is
treating you well.
Once again, thanks for reading man.
My personal email is: funnoo@gmail.com