Saturday, October 18, 2008

Moving Fun! (ok, not really)

I just wanted to take a quick second to make a post giving everyone an update on our move.

We just got back to the hotel from the house. Everything was packed up on Thursday and almost everything was loaded on Friday. Turns out they determine the amount of space allocated you on a truck based on estimated weight. Problem is we have a lot of big stuff that doesn't weigh a lot (can you say HUGE beanbags anyone?!) so...well, they ran out of space and another truck had to come this morning. They sure tried hard to get everything on, they even pulled out the ramps, set a piece of plywood across the back and strapped down a bunch of our stuff in an effort to get more on! It was the craziest thing I have seen in a while. I had Katie snap a picture with her phone (for insurance as well as story purposes), check it out.

Of course, I thought this was all kind of funny until I took a closer look at the picture and noticed that my Triathlon bike is one of the things strapped to the back! ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

So, now my poor bike is strapped to the back of some freaking semi driving across the country with all the weather, road grime, and other things that could do damage! I was not a happy camper!

Anyway, we finished doing all the touch-up painting last night and cleaning the house. The carpet cleaner came this afternoon and I cleaned some windows. Finally, the house is ready to turn back over to our awesome landlord and we are ready to go.

We have been in a hotel with the kids since Thursday, the Comfort Inn and Suites (trying to be budget conscious, plus I don't like my kids destroying other people's nice property) and it isn't that bad.

They have been very hyper (as usual), but nothing that I didn't expect. They are a little out of their routine with all of the changes, but we are hoping to get everything settled down before the end of the month.

We have church tomorrow followed up by dinner at a friend's house. We leave for Utah on Monday morning at 7am. From there, things keep up the hectic pace. We expected to have our stuff not arrive until the 27th, but the driver told us Thursday that it will be there on the 22nd...which may not sound bad, except that I won't be there. I fly back to NY on Wednesday with Dad to get my other car and drive it back to Utah (about a 3-day drive) so Katie will have to oversee the unpacking and unloading by herself! Yeah, we aren't too excited about that.

I get back to Utah on the 25th or 26th with Dad and am there until the 31st when I have to go to San Francisco for work. I fly back to Utah from San Francisco on November 2nd and then leave back for New York on November 3rd (yes, the very next day) and am here until November 10th to finish up things here.

I also just got word that I will probably have to make one more trip out before Thanksgiving...oh boy, it just gets better and better! Can't wait for Christmas!

We want to thank all our family and friends for all their support. We will sorely miss living in NY but are excited to get back to our family and friends in Utah. I am going to do posts of my trip with dad across the U.S., so stay tuned!!

-Cim

5 comments:

Gabbitas Family said...

I was excited to see an update!!! Good luck!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

that is so crazy Cim!!! Those bikes are expensive!!! I can't imagine a 3 day drive- yuck!! That is Dads dream!!! Haha very good to know what's going on- sounds like u did need the extra night tonight!! Miss u, hope you all survive this madness so I can see you in a month!

jenny.hawkes said...

I've never known a delivery company to deliver on schedule... so maybe you'll be there after all! Good luck with the move!!

Jonathan said...

SAVE THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maryirene said...

good luck with all that! crazy how they had to strap that stuff on the back. can't say i would've handled that well. sorry we really didn't say goodbye very well with family in town. we will miss you guys so much! we wish we could've had more time with your family. God bless you! i guess we'll see you back in utah sometime.